Tuesday, January 15, 2008

My birthday is sacred or something.

My mom's heart is broken. She was hoping that Peyton Manning and the Fillies* (or whatever his team's name is) would make it to the Super Bowl this year. But alas, that's not going to happen.

She wanted her favorite boy to play her favorite game on one of her favorite days.

You have to understand something, the Super Bowl is sacred to my mother. After all, it was during kick off in 1983's Big Game when she welcomed her first child into this world. That's right. I'm a Super Bowl baby. (In case you were wondering, when they flipped the coin, I was all heads.)

And ever since that fateful day, I've had no interest in the football. Because I've always seen it as competition.

But my mom, oh my mom, gets jazzed about the Bowl. When I was wee little, we'd always go to someone's house to watch it. Or host a party of our own. Or go to a sports bar/grill to watch it. Even on my birthday.

At least there was always guacamole.

This year, my birthday is on a Wednesday. So my dear mother doesn't have to pick between her kid and her team. And for that, I'm grateful. Because if the team Manning plays for did make it to the Bowl and my birthday were on the same day, well, Manning would win.

I'm starting to think that my birth got in the way of Mom's Super Bowling instead of the reverse. Crap. Explains why my sister gets everything. Her birthday only interrupts Thanksgiving every so many years.



*I honestly can't remember what team P.M. plays for. Colts? Patriots? It's one of those, right?

1 comment:

FrequencyDown said...

It's actually Phillies. The way you spelled it refers to a female. "Fine little filly".
Some would probably agree with your choice of spelling.

And actually, Phillies is a baseball team, and Peyton plays for the Idianapolis Colts.

How does someone who hates sports know this?

Probably because he hosted SNL and I'm a comedy nerd.