Sunday, January 27, 2008

Is Jerry Springer still on the air?

Reality TV is a pretty unique beast. Or perhaps it's just humanity in general.

People spend so much time and money trying to be perfect and classy and impressive.

Stick a camera in their face, though, and they turn into loud, obnoxious idiots.

It's like any attention is good attention. Having people know you as a whore is better than them not knowing you at all.

But we're all aware of this. Although we still act surprised when rich, spoiled LA kids act racist on film. Or celebs flash their junk to paparazzi swarms. Or musicians smoke crack while their friends film with their cameras.

How is any of that, though, different from the crap we used to see on Jerry Springer?

It isn't. We enjoyed watching strangers wreck their lives. Now we enjoy watching pseudo-celebs do the same thing.

Everyone loves a train wreck.

I'm over it.

I'm so glad I don't know any celebs. How sad it must be watching a loved one live in the public eye. Watching as their dirty laundry gets aired on talk shows. See their most painful secrets get spilled and then dissected on the internet.

Some people get off on that, though. So to each his own.

I guess.

I'll gladly just live my life from this private little corner. And if any of my friends ask me to join them on the Jerry Springer show, I'll drop them without thinking twice.

No comments: