Monday, September 8, 2008

What's worse than saying y'all?

I live in Texas.

In Texas, people say y'all. Even I allow a y'all to slip out every now and again. And I forgive my posh friends when a y'all lodges itself into their monologues.

We all know it's not a real word. We know it stands for "you all." Some of us even know why "you all" is an improper english phrase in and of itself.

But we say y'all. And we love y'all. And we'll continue to keep saying y'all because it's cute (unless of course you're using it while telling the kids to git back in tha gat dern trailer).

But if you're going to use y'all in the written word, for tha luv uv gahd, even if it's not a real word, spell it correctly.

I beg you.

Because a wronged y'all is no y'all at all.

Today, I saw "ya'll" and I wanted to whack someone with a rolled up magazine.

"What are you thinking!" I wanted to screech.

"Did you EVER go to elementary school?" my brain yelled.

"Do you even know what an apostrophe DOES!" the voice echoed.

As endearing as the yokel word y'all can be (and let's face it, it can be charming if coming from the right lips), when it's in print and flat out misspelled, that's just unforgivably dumb.

All it takes is one carelessly placed apostrophe to transform a J.R. Ewing or sweet, Southern Belle into a complete dumb dumb.

To the misspellers of y'all, all y'all are stupid.

Get a friggin dictionary. Y'all's in there for crying out loud. Look it up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't know you have a talent for writing. Do you write a newspaper column by chance?