Tuesday, September 30, 2008

This is the person I became.

The other morning as I was primping for the day, I had a small revelation.

This is who I grew into. This person in the mirror is the adult me.

It was a sobering moment in time because in my head I still feel like a child. I still stare wide-eyed at the surrounding world and wonder where exactly I fit.

And I still wonder who I'll be in ten years. Twenty years. Who my kids will be. And so on.

A part of me will always be a curious five year old, daydreaming of being a long-legged adult in the big city, wearing red mini dresses and red heels to my corporate gig (okay, so I was 5 in the 80s, give me a break). Wardrobe aside, I'm not too far off from my projected self.

I may have shorter hair than I thought. My boyfriend doesn't ride a motorcycle to his job as (whatever a Ken doll did). And I don't have a swimming pool full of Cherry 7-Up.

But I'm happy. This is the woman I became, and I like her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a cool post. I like it. :)

I have had such small revelations myself, except that the person in my 5 year old head is radically distant from who I am. We'll see what happens later.

FrequencyDown said...

I have it now and again and it is shocking!
But then I realize how I can still be very immature and disregard responsibility and logic like I'm still 14.

You may see the adult you in the mirror, but that kid still lives inside.