Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Was I naked?

A good friend of mine (who so happens to be a nurse) told me something horrifying today.

He said that when you get surgery, when you're laying on the table anesthetized and damn-near euthanized, when you're at your at your next-to-most vulnerable ...

... oh, man. I can't even say it.

He said that when you're in that room unaware of what's going on, the doctors (for the sake of sterility) make you one step closer to total vulnerable.

They take ...

... breath, Veronica ...

They remove ...

... think happy thoughts ...

Your underwear comes off.

When you're lying there asleep and doped up, the creepy doctors remove your only remaining undergarment.

And I find this more horrifying than the actual surgery.

A room full of dudes in scrubs saw my goody basket.

Not many people have been allowed to see the goody basket. In fact, a very select group has been granted access to the Land of Good and Plenty. This is sacred territory down here! This is the Mecca. The Holy Land*. Nirvanna. Shangra La Di Da.

Why would they take off your underwear? Do surgeons really do this? I mean ... Why? It's bad enough being nearly dead and on a table in some sterile room with some stranger digging around in your skeleton. But to be NAKED on that table, nearly dead with some stranger digging around in your skeleton takes it to a whole new level of eerie.

Someone, please tell me this isn't true. I can't go on knowing that there were six strangers who saw my bits and pieces while my dad was only rooms away playing on his iPhone.

Geez. At least the Garden of Eden had been properly pruned. I've got that going for me.


*Almost spelled it "holey" for comedic effect.

1 comment:

Terealius said...

From what I understand, only the area that is receiving treatment will be exposed for surgical asepsis. So, the Netherlands will not have been under satellite observation. You were more than likely covered to prevent cross-contamination. I'm more than certain you had that funky sterile gown thingie on as well. So, hopefully this put you at ease. Oh, and although my credentials aren't congruent with your friend's, I am studying to be an M.A. so I have at least been educated on the subject.

Paz