Thursday, April 24, 2008

Did you hear that?

I heard a phone ring. And it freaked me out.

Because it actually rang. As in "ring ring." It didn't play rap. It didn't sing a country song. There was no disco.

The phone actually rang. Like phones used to do once upon a time.

But it's not so much the ring that was unnerving. It was the fact that I didn't know what the sound was.

"Did the oven just ding?" I asked.

"Veronica, there's no oven here," a coworker told me.

Sure enough, he was right. There was a flat screen display, a lamp, and other standard office materials.

Someone's pocket, though, roared with an ancient noise.

Ring ring.

"I think someone's at the door," I said as I peeked around a corner.

The ringing stopped.

People just stared at me.

Then someone turned up the music on his computer.

"Hey," I blurted out, "someone should answer that."

No comments: