Sunday, April 6, 2008

April showers bring may powers. Part 2

A pile of wet clothes lay at the feet of Mrs. Truman's class.

No one said a word. Everyone just stared at the spot where Lisa had stood only moments before.

Moments before she vanished into thin air. Before she dissolved into the ether. Moments before she ceased to exist.

Or at least that's what everyone thought. Their interpretations of this event were only half correct.

Yes, Lisa had disappeared from site, but she hadn't disappeared. She had teleported. The reaction of rainwater on her sugar skin had caused her to dissolve and travel across the city to her grandmother's couch.

"Sugar, what are you doing here?" little Lisa's grandmother asked as she entered the living room with her morning cup of coffee. "And why are you stark naked?"

"Rain touched me, Gramma," Lisa said. "And the next thing I knew, I was here."

Gramma fetched a soft robe and a glass of juice for her granddaughter who graciously thanked her.

"This is a predicament," Gramma muttered. "You're too sweet for your own good."

Lisa drank her juice and listened as her grandmother reasoned over the situation. Obviously, drinking juice didn't cause Lisa to spontaneously travel. And bath water was always safe. Lisa had no problems in swimming pools. Even snow was safe.

But rain water, for some odd reason, caused the child to teleport? This was very odd.

"Gramma, you always told me that I was so sweet, that I'd melt in the rain."

"But I didn't mean it. I was being silly. What I said wasn't real."

Lisa tilted her head and looked out the window. "I thought it was real."

Ah, and there was the reason little Lisa would teleport. Because she didn't know that it was impossible. Her literal little mind was so powerful, that it made her freakishly allergic to rain water.

"Lisa, dear, were you thinking about what I said right before you ended up on my couch?" Gramma asked.

Lisa told her yes.

Gramma ran outside and came back in, her hand wet from the rain. "Child," she spoke softly, "I'm going to touch your forehead, but before I do, I need you to think about the guest room here, okay?"

Lisa agreed. She squeezed her eyes closed and hummed with concentration. The old woman touched her rain-soaked hand to her granddaughters forehead.

Lisa faded from view and the empty robe sank to the couch.

"Sugar, you in the guest room?" Gramma called.

"Sure am!" came the reply. "You know what, Gramma, this is fun!"

Little Lisa's grandmother plopped down into her favorite chair and wondered how she was going to tell her daughter about her kid's newfound ability.

To be continued.

No comments: