Monday, March 24, 2008

It's time to engage in MORTAL KOMBAT!

We all have guilty pleasures. Some of us listen to Creed. Some of us sleep with blankies.

Me? I love Mortal Kombat.

"Get over here!"

As a kid, I was not only obsessed with the games, but with the story lines of each and every character. I knew why the developers named Noob Saibot, well, Noob Saibot. I knew every characters fatalities (in MK I and both of them in MK II). When MK II was released, I about jumped out of a window with joy when I saw Sonya Blade and Kano chained up in the background (they were captured, the entire story escapes me now, but Sonya reappeared as a player in MK III).

I knew every Easter Egg hidden in the game. I could find every secret player (ever beat the computer using all high kicks?). And I could play as Shao Kahn (although I didn't like to. He was kinda awkward and lazy-looking during kombat).

So when the movie came out, I was about as stoked as I am about the next Batman. Seriously. I was that much of a dork. In my defense, though, I was in middle school.

"Friendship! Friendship!"

I knew more about Mortal Kombat than some of the scrawniest gamers. In fact, I remember going to the UA 8 theatre in Garland with my sister and discussing the plot of the movie before it started.

Some guys behind us were trying to explain the MK story to their friend.

"Dude, just listen to those chicks in front of us. They know their stuff."

"Finish him!"

The movie probably sucked then and sucks worse now. But I'd never know. Because seeing those gymnastic-inclined ninjas made my adrenaline perform fatalities on my brain.

Mortal Kombat II was definitely lame. Even at my super-imaginative, young age, I couldn't deny it's overt hoakiness. But you know what? It's on TV right now. And I'm going to watch every last second of it. Even if it does stray from the original story portrayed by the games.

3 comments:

Cooter Brown said...

Girl, you know Mortal Kombat was the bomb, and still is. All those cheesy lines, awesome sets and one giant rubber suit made that movie the shit for any kid who claimed to be a fan. FIGHT!

FrequencyDown said...

No one listens to Creed! And if they do...Let's not even get into that. You know my position.

"We all live under the reign of wookie."

Terealius said...

WHoa. I remember being so enamored with the MKII video game that I had a crush on Kaitlin Zimmar. She did the movement capture for Kitana/Jade/Mileena. Yup, and I caught up with the brother's Pesina who Daniel did the movements for Johnny Cage, and Carlos did them for Raiden. ShabbadabbaLaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!
Anywho, I still have that magazine that is in several pieces from my opening it so many times to read the same info over and over. Dr. Philip Ahn as Tsang Tsung and oh, oh, Daniel did the movements for all the ninjas. Oh man, I better stop, I can hear myself turning 11 again.