Monday, October 20, 2008

There are really nice people out there.

There wasn't anything particularly special about today.

I wrestled gravity and got out of bed. I drove to work in the average amount of traffic. I even ate lunch at one of my typical places.

But today, this day, I had coupons.

As I gleefully presented my thrifty tickets, very pleased at my money-saving ways, I was told by the cashier that the one coupon wasn't valid with this type of salad. And that soup coupon? Doesn't include this type of soup.

"Oh well," I said aloud. It's no big deal. At least I know now.

But then the cashier out of the kindness of her heart goes, "I'll give you your drink* for free to make up for it."

I stood there puzzled. Free? Nothing is ever free. Did I hear her correctly? This was a very unnecessarily thoughtful thing to do! The coupon wouldn't even have saved me that much money.

"You don't have to do that," I said to her. "I should have read the coupon more thoroughly."

"It's the least I can do." She slid my items towards me. "And after all, no matter what happens today, you got that tea for free. So that should bring you some happiness later."

Her smile was so genuine that it glowed.

I thanked her and thanked her and thanked her some more. That bottle of tea was already causing my cheeks to be sore from grinning.

And later on today when I was bored, when I was a little frustrated, when I grew tired, I couldn't be upset. The cashier was right. I had a little moment of happiness because someone gave me a small token.

You know the old adage: A little kindness goes a long way? Believe it!


*Bottled mint green tea!

No comments: