Thursday, October 22, 2009

Nevada has a sweet quarter.

I love quarters. Since I was a kid, I collected the bicentennial drummer quarters (I have over thirty, in case you were wondering).

So when the U.S. decided to roll out the every-state-gets-its-own-quarter initiative, I couldn’t be happier.

I love paying with cash for the sole purpose of seeing which quarters I get in change. The problem, though, is that I rarely pay with cash.

So while reaching into my coin purse today for some 25 cent* pieces, I pulled out a quarter and decided to look at the back.

What I saw was a piece of art, as all state quarters are intended to be but rarely accomplish.

Nevada’s beautiful quarter features sinewy horses galloping amidst the mountains. A bright sun with long rays is rising over the scene, adding life and vibrancy. And the whole picture is book ended by luxuriously flowery branches.

It’s gorgeous.

And it’s going into my coin collection.

*Didn’t keyboards used to have the cent symbol over the six?

No comments: