Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Nouning is really fun.

"Let's party."

A pretty common phrase, right? You've probably said it yourself a few times, or at least tried some variation of it.

Face it. "Party" is no longer just a noun. It's a verb now. And quite the verb, actually.

I party. You party. He/she/it parties. We party. They party.

Let's go partying.

Last night, my friends and I partied.

Any English language snob would turn up his nose (or perhaps vomit with disgust) and declare that using "party" as a verb is a complete tragedy. That English as we know it is being bastardized and soon we'll all be speaking monosyllabically to one another in caves.

I wish I had a more intelligent response. But I'm too busy blogging*.

Think about it. The beauty of language is that it's constantly evolving. After all, we don't all speak ye olde English on a dialy basis, do we? That stuff died a soldier's death long ago.

I saw tweak the lexicon. Create new words. And stretch definitions as far as they can stretch.

Within reason, of course. We don't all want to sound like yokels.

* Oh! 'Dis!

1 comment:

hedcon said...

YAY! We call them "nerbs" at work, but I love them too. Let's Google* it later.

*Oh! Burn!