Sunday, December 27, 2009

I'm so glad Christmas is over.

I'm not sure what it is about the holidays that makes people feel entitled.

That makes them sure their actions, no matter how rude and dangerous, are justified.

All of this "Jesus is the reason for the season" spewage as they cut you off in a parking lot shooting the almighty finger--not really church-endorsed, is it?

Last time I checked, there was no mention of Jesus being cool with profanities towards your fellow man in order to save 30% on some sweaters at Target during the month of December.

There's been a rash of people blatantly shirking political correctness, too. Which--okay, I get it. You celebrate a specific religious holiday. And that's great. Many many many people share the same holiday and there's no harm in wishing your holiday upon others--even if they don't celebrate yours.

But for Jesus' sake, don't be a dick about it.

Don't be pissed when the kid working at Dillards--who happens to be Jewish--wishes you a warm holiday. Your snapping back, "It's Christmas," might (and does) come off as hostile.

And would Jesus dig that? I'm pretty sure he wouldn't.

So I hope everyone had a happy holiday, no matter which one(s) you celebrated. And if you don't celebrate a holiday, I hope you had a lovely and safe December.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've had some not so great Christmases. The full-blown flu one year. The year I was overseas with no family. The year after my parent's divorce. All Christmases in my young adulthood just somehow went wrong and felt so wrong. Now, I'm hosting the Christmas Eve dinner every year (nobody else will do it). Well, I sort of got over that and accepted that if there was to be Christmas celebration, I was going to have to host it. This year, I had houseguests for two solid weeks right up to Christmas day. Uh, never again. Christmas just felt like a bust. I worked my tail off and when Christmas was done, so was I. My tree is still up, and will most likely be up for quite some time. It's not begging me to water it, it's fake. It looks a lot more beautiful to me now that Christmas is over. It no longer is a reminder of holiday stress. It's just a beautiful, shining thing over in the corner, on a table, taking up no space. I give the glory to Christ. But Christmas selfishness has left an ugly taste in my mouth. Now, I'm cleaning the closets, the fridge and everything that needs a fresh start for a fresh new year. Bring it on.