Sunday, September 20, 2009

I don't like the term ex-boyfriend.

Addressing wedding stuff has got me thinking.

There are some ex-boyfriends on the guest list. It doesn't seem fair to call them exes, though. Especially MY exes. After all, I don't have them anymore. How can they be mine?

And I can't be the only ex of theirs, either. It just seems unfair to be the current ex of several people.

Plus, their status has changed to friend. I don't see why pointing out a past variation of our friendship is even necessary (especially since I'm engaged, right?).

And there's this negative connotation associated with the terms ex-boyfriend and ex-girlfriend. It implies anger and angst that might no longer exist. Sure, when the breakup is fresh and neither party has moved on, saying "my ex" seems appropriate. But once the wounds have healed or someone has dated a few people since the broken relationship, shouldn't the label of ex be removed?

"My ex-boyfriend from high school" just seems crazy. If you've been out of high school for over a decade, it should simply be "the guy I dated when we were kids" or something just as innocent.

Saying "two ex-boyfriends ago" sounds like you're a collector.

I'm going to drop "ex-boyfriend" from my vocabulary. I think the guys who I dated once upon a time deserve it--they've proven themselves to be noble friends (or not worthy of recognition at all).


2 comments:

hedcon said...

you're so right! i hate saying EX ... it makes it sound like there's still some sort of issue, even when there's not.

Ashley said...

i agree too! kudos!