Monday, August 17, 2009

Will someone explain insurance to me?

I live in an apartment.

Like a responsible renter, I have renter's insurance. It covers my property in the even that the guy below me falls asleep smoking and my TV gets melted.

It covers my computer if it drowns in the unfortunate event of my upstairs neighbor forgetting to turn off the bath water.

It protects the value of my stereo and CDs (yes, I still have CDs) if some yahoo crashes his car through my exterior wall.

Without divulging just how many electronics and valuable items my fiance and I have stuffed into our apartment, I'm going to say that the total value of said items and the actual apartment itself is significantly more than my engagement ring.

Then why does my engagement ring cost one and a half times more money to insure? Especially since it lives in this apartment?

My bike got stolen once. It was chained outside and someone hacksawed the lock and took it. It was paid for in full by my renters insurance. The damn thing lived outside and they replaced it with no questions.

My engagement ring is on my finger. And no women in her right mind would let some crazy mugger get it from her. (Just you try, dude. You've never seen crazy. Believe me.)

Yet this teeny tiny item is worth more to ensure than EVERY SINGLE THING IN OUR APARTMENT COMBINED. Not to mention our neighbors' possessions in the event that I leave the bathtub running and flood someone else's apartment.

So I'm paying 50% more for a piece of jewelry (albeit, very sentimental jewelry, but only for a few people) than I am for multiple apartments full of stuff in the event that I forget to blow out a candle while I'm at the grocery.

That's a whole carat of crazy.

1 comment:

hedcon said...

tack the word wedding/marriage on ANYTHING and it's twice as much. want to rent this room for a party? oh sure, it's $500. oh, it's a wedding reception? yeah, that's gonna be $1,000. thanks.

dumb.