Tuesday, March 22, 2011

That's great.

What phrase am I trending right now?

"That's great."

Which isn't great.

I find myself saying it after just about anything.


Friend: I painted my walls this bright color.
Me: That's great.

Friend: I ate dinner at this fancy restaurant and had the pie.
Me: That's great.

Friend: My boss gave me the afternoon off.
Me: That's great.


I'm starting to really annoy myself. Because even if those who hear me say "that's great" aren't aware of my habit, I am. And in my head, it sounds sarcastic.

I try to add other words, "that's really great" or "that's so great." Or substitute, "that's awesome" or "that's nice." But I always end up saying "that's great" in the end.

When did I become such a lukewarm conversationalist? Instead of doing the nice thing and asking a question in return (What inspired this color? Ooh, what other desserts did they have? What are you going to do on your free afternoon?), I simply drop a cinderblock onto the conversation.

Maybe I just need to sleep more. That would be so great.

Shit.

No comments: