Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I'm not listening to anything.

I have a confession. Although I'm wearing my ear buds while typing on the computer, I'm not actually listening to anything (unless you count the almost inaudible white noise being pumped into my eardrums).

I'm a writer. And it's hard for me to write when my favorite songs are playing. It's too tempting to sing along.

It's also hard for me to write when people drop by my desk to chat. Or to "get my opinion" on something they wrote. Or to have me change one word in something I wrote two weeks ago.

So I don't wear my ear buds to bebop to my iTunes. I wear my ear buds so you think I'm bebopping to my iTunes.

So you'll leave me alone. And you'll email me instead. And I can do my job with minimal distractions and stay in my creative zone.

It really works. I wish I had thought of it sooner.

No comments: