Monday, August 23, 2010

I am officially a professional.

The dictionary definition of a professional is someone who gets paid to do something.

It's a lose definition, but you get the gist.

Well, the dictionary is wrong. In order to be a professional, one must master the art of walking away while still engaged in conversation.

Not ending the conversation and then departing. Actually finishing up a sentence while increasing distance. It's multitasking at it's finest. And only the best professionals do it well.

EXAMPLE 1
Person 1: This is great.
Person 2: I appreciate that.
Person 1: Thanks for getting it to me so quickly.
Person 2 (while walking away): Let me know if you need anything else.

EXAMPLE 2
Both people are approaching one another in the hallway.
Person 1: Hey, how was your weekend.
Person 2: It was fantastic. Did you go to Six Flags with your family?
Now they are side by side, but only for a moment because they're both still walking.
Person 1: Sure did. I won a basketball.
Person 2: Did you play in college?
They are now walking away from one another and not facing.
Person 1: Sure did.

Over the course of the last few weeks, I've been slowly observing this phenomenon. And I'm finally getting the hang of it.

Hooray. My parents would be so proud.

No comments: